When considering the overall look of your home, the garage door might not be the first thing that comes to mind. However, the style of your garage door panels can change your home’s curb appeal. Your garage door takes up a lot of space outside your house, so choosing the right style is important. What you choose is not just about safety and durability but also about style and personal expression.
In this blog, we will talk about the many types of garage door panels homeowners can choose from. We will discuss how each style, from the charm of raised panels to the elegance of flush panels, can fit your home’s design. By the end of this blog, you will know how to make the outside look better and show off your unique style.
Garage Door Panels: What Are They?
Panels are the separate sections that make up the front of a garage door. They are usually joined together by hinges that let the door bend as it opens and closes. For balance and support, garage door springs and cables hold the door in place while it rolls up on tracks. Each style and size of garage door has a different amount of panels. If you get a fully customized door, you can choose how many garage door panels it has.
Types of Garage Door Panels
Garage door panels come in different types, each looking and working better in many ways. Here are the most common types:
- Flush Panels: These are flat panels that look sleek and simple. These panels look better for modern homes because they do not stand out but blend in.
- Raised Panels: These traditional panels are the most common types. They have a set of raised rectangular panels that give the door depth and a classic look.
- Recessed Panels: Similar to raised panels, there are squares indented in the door. They can make the garage door stand out more with their slightly distinct look.
- Carriage House Panels: These panels have an old-fashioned feel because they look like the doors of old carriage houses. Often, they have garage door decorative hardware that adds to the old-fashioned look.
- Long Raised Panels: These garage door panels add to the length of the garage door and make it look unique and longer. Additionally, they can boost the height of a small garage.
- Short Raised Panels: These panels are shorter than the long raised panels’ length. They make the garage door look more interesting while keeping its traditional look.
- Glass Panels: You can have these panels installed on top of the garage door to make it look better. Plus, they let in natural light while giving the door a more modern look.
Different Garage Door Panel Materials
There are different materials used to make garage door panels—each with its benefits. Here is an overview of the most common materials:
- Steel: This material is durable and does not need much maintenance. They come in different gauges (thicknesses), with lower gauges being stronger and more durable. You can install insulation to make it energy-efficient. However, they are prone to dents and rust, but you can treat them with corrosion-resistant coatings.
- Aluminum: Aluminum panels are lightweight and do not rust. You can also paint them to look like wood. However, they are more prone to dents because they are not as hard as steel.
- Wood: Cedar, oak, and hemlock are some of the wood panel choices you can use to give a garage door a classic, natural look. Although wood garage door panels need more maintenance, they can fit any shape and offer better insulation.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass panels can look like wood but are not as popular. Since they are light and do not rust in saltwater, they are good for coastal areas. However, they can turn yellow over time and are less strong than steel or wood.
- Vinyl: These panels are also durable and need less maintenance. They do not rust, dent, or fade as quickly as other materials. When bonded with a steel frame, they can last longer and ensure excellent protection.
- Composite: Composite panels can be a mix of wood fibers, resin, and other materials. Manufacturers can make them to look like wood but with less maintenance.
Customization Options for Garage Door Panels
By customizing a garage door panel, you can greatly improve your home’s curb appeal and functionality. Aside from the garage door types and panel materials, you must also consider customizing the following:
Garage Door Color
- Standard Colors: Most manufacturers give a range of standard colors, usually shades of brown, beige, and white. These color choices go with a lot of different home exteriors.
- Custom Colors: Some manufacturers let you match the color of the garage door panels to a specific paint brand shade. This way, you can get a perfect match or a one-of-a-kind look.
- Wood Look: You can now paint steel and aluminum garage doors to look like real wood. So, if you opt for the look of traditional homes, you can achieve a classic wood look at a cheaper cost.
- Gloss Levels: The amount of gloss on a garage door—from matte to high-gloss—can greatly affect its appearance. A gloss finish makes colors stand out more and is easier to clean. A matte finish, on the other hand, might be better at hiding flaws and dirt.
- Textures: Some garage doors come with different textures for the finish. For example, steel doors can have a wood grain texture, making the finish look more like wood. They can also have a stucco texture for a more rustic look.
- Protective Coatings: Besides looking good, finishing can protect your garage door panels. High-quality protective coatings can help keep colors from fading in the sun. They also keep metal door panels from rusting and lower the risk of scratches and dents.
Garage Door Window
- Window Styles: You can pick from different window styles, such as traditional pane windows, arched windows, or modern full-panel windows that look sleek.
- Glass Options: You can choose tempered glass, clear glass, frosted glass, or colored glass. Some people might like protected glass because it saves more energy.
- Window Placement: You may want to install windows in any part of the garage door, including the top, middle, or bottom. Line them up vertically or horizontally, based on the style of the door and your preference.
- Window Shapes: Besides the standard rectangular shape, windows can be in the form of circles, arches, or other geometric designs. You can choose the shape that matches the style of the home.
No matter your choice, it will make your home look better and work better for years. However, consulting a garage door expert can help you stay updated on the newest styles, materials, and technologies. This way, you can ensure that the door you choose improves the look of your home and meets your daily needs. Remember that the best garage door panels are long-lasting, easy to maintain, and nice to look at so that the outside of your home looks welcoming.
Want to improve the look of your home’s exterior with the best garage door panels? Look no further than Titan Garage Doors Lincoln NE. Our professional team can help you with any garage door upgrade, whether you need a garage door panel replacement, maintenance, or repair. Count on us to help you transform the look and function of your garage with simple and affordable garage door installation and fixes. Call us today for the most stylish and perfect garage door look you have ever wanted.